Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Where did THREE months go?

So yesterday was exactly 3 months in France.  I'm amazed at how quickly it has flown by.  I'm finally feeling at home in my apartment, even though I'm currently freezing in it.  The chauffage technician will be here Friday morning to inspect the system.  The apartment was empty in February when the annual maintenance was performed, and it's recommended to wait.  Anyway, they'll be here in two days!!!  In the meantime, I'm spending lots of time under my favorite Brookstone Nap Comfy blanket.  I had to explain to my French colleagues just what this blanket is.  The Comfy  is Brookstone's version of a Snuggie, but it's made out of their Nap fabric, and it's long enough to cover me from head to toe.  I had fun explaining that it's a <<coverture avec manches>> a blanket with sleeves.  To watch the light bulbs come on in their heads was quite entertaining.  They'd never considered such a practical invention.

Enough about my nap blanket...  after three months, I've started a list of things that are universal, so I thought I'd share.  I started these observations as I sat on a park bench in Jardin LeCoq on a Saturday morning, waiting for it to be a reasonable time to Skype with Hal.  Enjoy!

Universal truth #1, adolescent boys will do just about anything in front of a video camera.  Picture me, in my workout clothes (had to walk to the park with a laptop- counted as exercise) sitting on a bench, talking to my laptop in English.  12 year old French kid looks at me a little funny then figures out what I'm doing.  He starts walking behind my bench, waving at my web cam.  Boys...

Universal truth #2, little kids will chase birds.  Seagulls on the beach or flying rats (aka pigeons) in the park. Same park, several different visits, little kids were giggling and chasing the flying rats.  They almost got some of the fatter ones.

#3- A smile and a willingness to try to speak the local language will get you a long way. France is not known for her customer service, however, if you're willing to try, some of the "customer service" representatives can and will actually provide a service.  This happened for me at the "best buy" of Clermont- Boulanger.  I had to buy a kitchen's worth of appliances, and by using my French and a big smile, my dear CSR Christophe was able to get me the hook up, and throw in a warranty.  He even helped me get my microwave in my little red car.

#4- It's fun to talk to the "older" people.  On the same day in the park as truth #1 and #2, I walked past a sweet looking grandmotherly type woman who reminded me ALOT of my dear Grandmother Connie.  Down to her filed pointy and perfectly painted (lavender!!) finger nails.  My French wasn't great, but we had a fantastic conversation about the red squirrel that was playing in the grass.  It made me think alot about my Grandmother and what she would probably think about my grand French adventure.

#5-  Absence makes the heart grow fonder... or at least the inbox fill up faster.  Since I've been in France I've received emails and wall posts from friends and family I haven't talked to in a very long time, or at least not that regularly.  I'm so grateful to have those connections, and I hope they continue over the next 33 months and even after I get home.  It's always nice to know you're loved.

The most important one of all, and maybe the one I should've put first, is that just because my life has changed drastically, God hasn't changed.  This was so ridiculously clear I couldn't believe it on my first trip to church.  A dear family friend invited me to go with him to the Baptist church... a French church.  As I stood there literally melting in the July heat, the worship leader put a new song on the overhead- Beni soit le nom.  There in French was one of the most popular worship songs out there "Blessed Be the Name." I was so excited, Icould understand all the French words and even sing the alto part. When I opened my mouth though, nothing came out... I was a bit overcome and as I tried to sing through my tears, I realized that I was going to be ok and that God hadn't changed.  He is here with me, just like he was at home, and he's not going anywhere.

On that note, I think I'm headed to bed.  Thanks for reading and feel free to share your thoughts on other universal truths.

Bises!
Sara

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you've been there 3 months already too! Just a little while until Hal gets to visit. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My train tickets arrived in the mail today =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've learned a lesson that we all need to remember--God is constant and yet able to come to us in whatever way we need Him in any given situation. Another example of how my human brain cannot fully comprehend His greatness. It is a comfort to me to know He is with you when I cannot be. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving #4! :) And I teared up at your last observation!

    ReplyDelete